Friday 6 December 2019

Winter Spectacular - Japanese Night Heron and more

I have been itching to update the blog but had been so caught up with work and a recent trip to Osaka (more of that later on) that I've not been able to do so. The most notable rarity of late is a Japanese Night Heron that had been showing exceptionally well at Sai Kung. Ironically it was reported when I was in Japan...First thing after we got back Hoiling and I went straight in the morning and found the bird straight away! This endangered species is only the 7th confirmed record in Hong Kong, and one of the rarest heron in the world! With no more than 2,000 individuals globally!



Japanese Night Heron - 7th HK record!

Back tracking a few weeks back, we had a successful tour outing on 16th of November. The day began with good views of a Brown Wood Owl at Tai Lam Country Park. While two Dark-sided Flycatcher made an appearance, a brilliant looking male Blue-and-White Flycatcher really stole the show. A male Red-flanked Bluetail was also quite nice, this year had been especially good for this species. A single Black Bulbul was a nice addition on the day. The half day tour ended at Long Valley with great views of Yellow-breasted Buntings and a Chestnut-eared Bunting.

Brown Wood Owl - been very consistent and showing well

Dark-sided Flycatcher

Blue-and-White Flycatcher - male

Red-flanked Bluetail - male

Black Bulbul

Chestnut-eared Bunting

November was also very busy for us because of the moving, but now that we have settled in I am starting to explore my new local patch around Ting Kok and Brides Pool area. One of the most remarkable bird I found on my first outing was a single Northern Lapwing on the coast, which later gave an incredible fly-by view.



Northern Lapwing - a great patch tick!

A grassy area nearby was also incredibly productive, with Yellow-breasted Bunting, Chestnut-eared Bunting and Black-faced Bunting all showed well.

Yellow-breasted Bunting

Chestnut-eared Bunting

Black-faced Bunting

At Wu Kau Tang where I've rarely birded in recent years I had success with finding a Speckled Piculet plus up to two Small Niltava! One of the male even showed quite well! Being so accessible to so many great bird really is a privilege!

Speckled Piculet

Small Niltava - male

A Black-necked Grebe had been found recently at San Tin, of which I have failed to connect with on each of my attempts...I did however connect with a very confiding Great Crested Grebe, which we don't see very often up close!


Great Crested Grebe

The Ferruginous Duck reported near Mai Po stayed on for a week or two, I went back for some better photos and ended up with some good flight shots.


Ferruginous Duck - inflight shots

A few Yellow-browed Buntings were reported at Long Valley of which I missed despite there on the same day, I was however rewarded with a Rustic Bunting which showed fairly well. With 'rice season' coming to an end soon, it is nice to finally see one of the less common visitors to Long Valley.

Rustic Bunting - always a delight to see

No comments:

Post a Comment