Tuesday 17 November 2020

Out of Luck - a series of failed twitches

Since the finding of the Rosy Pipit, plenty of other rarities have been found by other birders, unfortunately, due to work, I missed most of them. My unlucky streak started when I tried my luck with Captain at Robin's Nest for Oriental Scops Owl, but yet again failed to produce any results, a Collared Scops Owl was my only consolation prize for the evening's hard work.

Collared Scops Owl

One of the better bird I connected with was the Bramling at Long Valley, not a common bird in Hong Kong but not exactly a rarity. The real rarity that turned up was a Japanese Reed Bunting, which unfortunately only stayed for a day and was not found again the next day when I tried...


Brambling

The day I visited was great for Buntings, the best being Crested Bunting and Yellow-browed Bunting, which I both missed...A pair of good old Rustic Buntings and a single Black-headed Bunting was not quite enough to make up for this upsetting dip.


Rustic Bunting

Black-headed Bunting

There were plenty of Yellow-breasted Buntings around, they were finally settling in and much for photogenic than before. Little Buntings were also in good numbers, while a few Black-faced Buntings played hide and seek with me for a while before finally revealing itself for a photo.


Yellow-breasted Bunting


Little Bunting

Black-faced Bunting - female

Chinese Penduline Tit is always a crowd favourite, a small flock have returned to the reeds at Long Valley and gathered a small following. While the numerous White-headed Munias continue to mix in with the local Scaly-breasted Munias. A single female Russet Sparrow was also seen.

Chinese Penduline Tit


White-headed Munia & Scaly-breasted Munia

Russet Sparrow - female

I am still missing photos of Slaty-breasted Rail, and one had been frequenting a pond at Long Valley...most of my friends have seen it, so it shouldn't be too hard, right? While I was there the numerous Greater Painted Snipe provided great views...while the Eastern Water Rail was more than happy to feed at close range...However, the Slaty-breasted Rail refuse to show itself to me as always.


Greater Painted Snipe - male

Greater Painted Snipe - female


Eastern Water Rail

A few Alexandrine Parakeet made an appearance at Long Valley, I usually see them fly through without stopping, this time they were perched on a wire. A single Kestrel drifted past had my hopes up for Amur, but was again disappointed.

Alexandrine Parakeet

Common Kestrel

I visited Mai Po hoping to glimpse a pair of Greater White-fronted Geese that turned up earlier this week, which apparently been showing well at pond 16/17, I arrived thinking they will be hard to miss, turns out they flew off to a different scrape before I arrived...The idea of chasing after the geese were not particularly pleasant, so I just sat at the hide enjoying some of the more 'common' species, such as numerous waders. Of course, the Black-faced Spoonbills which are now returning once again, one of which even had a satellite tracker on its back. A flock of Pacific Golden Plovers were a pleasant sight as well...

'Assorted Waders'

Black-faced Spoonbill

Black-faced Spoonbill with satellite racker & Common Redshanks

Pacific Golden Plover

All in all I would say birding is not too bad, just bad luck on twitching all the rarities, while missing out on a few lifers...But, as is life, you can't always get what you wish for.

No comments:

Post a Comment