Thursday 23 April 2020

Little Curlew - Finally!

Of my Hong Kong boogie birds, Little Curlew was one of those regular migrants that eluded me since I started birding. Though scarce, they are regularly recorded during spring migration, with usually one or two passing through places like Mai Po, but they often just stay for a day or two before moving on. I have somehow missed them every single time! 

On the 18th I was alerted by a friend that a Little Curlew was spotted at Long Valley, I just finished with the weekly shopping and was driving home at the time...I quickly dropped off the shopping, grabbed my camera and drove as quickly as I could. I called up my dad who also needs this lifer, luckily he was also nearby and we arrived at Long Valley almost at the same time.

I was relieved to find the Little Curlew happily feeding in a field, it is an unmistakable bird which resembles a Whimbrel but a lot smaller. Like most waders this species is highly migratory, where they breeds in far north of Siberia and winters as far south as Australia. We got great views of the bird as it wandered around the fields, not particularly scared of people as long as you keep still.




Little Curlew - a long awaited lifer

We enjoyed the presence of this special lifer in the dimming lights, it always feels incredible when a bird you want to see for so long finally materialized! And whats better to share this lifer with friends and family.

Little Curlew - friendly and very cooperative individual

No comments:

Post a Comment