Sunday, 26 July 2026

Wildlife in Extreme Heat

Weather's been hot the say the least, 32°C is now the norm, with many days exceeding 35°C or even higher temperatures. While there are very few interesting birds around in July, many of our residents and breeding species still shows well. Lately a pair of Brown-breasted Flycatchers were seen along the stream at Tai Po Kau with chicks, this scarce breeding species are not always easy to find as they never seem to breed at the same spot along the stream.

Brown-breasted Flycatcher - juvenile

Forest species generally are still quite active in the summer months, by July many have finished nesting, family groups are now going around foraging around the forest, and feeding flocks are starting to form again. Here is a selection of forest species around Tai Mo Shan, Tai Po Kau and Pat Sin Leng area.

Common Emerald Dove

Streak-breasted Scimitar-Babbler

Great Barbet

Fork-tailed Sunbird - male

Velvet-fronted Nuthatch

Mountain Bulbul

Speckled Piculet

Common Tailorbird

Plain Flowerpecker

Yellow-cheeked Tit - male

Due to work I had to visit mid-levels, and the 'star bird' of the area is of course the feral population Yellow-crested Cockatoo. This critically endangered species is commonly seen around Hong Kong Island, although getting good views are not always easy. Got lucky with a few feeding on a Hackberry tree, where they came down quite low and showed very well.




Yellow-crested Cockatoo

A single White-faced Plover have been seen around my survey site, I am kind of hoping they may nest again but I haven't yet seen any indication of breeding behaviour, although annual occurrence of this species here through the summer months seems to suggest regular breeding does occur if not every year.

White-faced Plover - female

I haven't really been out much herping, but I have seen a few things during our night walks. Chinese Water Dragons are always interseting to see, especially at night whne you get to see them sleeping up close. Many-banded Kraits are common, but I still enjoy seeing them. Bamboo Pit Viper is by far our most common snake, but any encounter with them is much welcomed.

Chinese Water Dragon

Many-banded Krait

Bamboo Pit Viper

One of the more interesting insect I have seen lately is the Aphaena discolor, a rather uncommon species of Planthopper in Hong Kong. Painted Jezebels are quite plentiful lately, while Purple Sapphires are always a joy to see.

Aphaena discolor

Painted Jezebel

Purple Sapphire

No comments:

Post a Comment