Thursday 17 October 2024

Dipped Rarity, but Lifer Snake!

A Red-throated Thrush was seen on Po Toi just before the day I got full day tour, unable to get to Po Toi in time, I dipped the bird...I went the day after and had no luck but an island full of people. The only relatively good bird was a juvenile female Blue-and-White Flycatcher. A real shame that I missed that thrush as its been on my wanted list for so long, it is only the 3rd record in Hong Kong and who knows how many years until one turn up again!


Blue-and-White Flycatcher - juvenile female

The birds at Telford Gardens have been fairly stable for the last week or so, the star of the show is still the Bar-bellied Crake which have been showing relatively well, although getting a good photo is still close to impossible unless you are early enough to grab the 'front roll seat' at one of the corner. There was a steady stream of Lanceolated Warblers and a few long staying Pallas's Grasshopper Warblers skulking around the place. A long staying Wryneck is also present but I don't seem to have any luck with it, whenever I go it is always away from its usual tree.

Band-bellied Crake - long staying individual



Lanceolated Warbler

Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler

Over at Mai Po, things are improving somewhat with an influx of Pheasant-tailed Jacana last week, I counted up to 7 one day, although they were all pretty far away. Along the drained channels hundreds of egrets gathered to feed, although not rare birds, seeing so many together is still quite a sight. 

Pheasant-tailed Jacana - 2 of many

Feeding Egrets

There were also a slight influx of Asian Brown Flycatcher, where I saw at least 3 along the same footpath, another species common in Hong Kong during passage with some over wintering. Eastern Marsh Harriers are now patrolling the sky at Mai Po regularly, there's been a Pied Harrier around as well but I haven't been lucky enough to see it.


Asian Brown Flycatcher

Eastern Marsh Harrier

Japanese Quails are always exciting to see, I saw two the other day, both only giving brief flight views as I flushed it from long grass. Eurasian Kestrels are now back and I got lucky with this very close encounter with a female. Various House Sparrows have been seen at one of my survey sites, an interesting addition to my month's list, and a species that seems to be on the rise in Hong Kong either as passage migrants or maybe even ship or plane assisted birds?

Japanese Quail

Eurasian Kestrel
House Sparrow

At Tai Po Kau, I had a brief view of a juvenile Ferruginous Flycatcher, of which I only managed a record photo. A friendly juvenile Dark-sided Flycatcher was however a lot more obliging and allowed close views! This species is a regularly autumn migrant that I can never get bored of. There are also still Amur Paradise and Black Paradise Flycatchers around, but none of them allowed a photo. A relatively friendly Lesser Shortwing was far more forgiving and gave good views despite being in almost pitch black forest floor.

Ferruginous Flycatcher - record shot


Dark-sided Flycatcher - juvenile

Lesser Shortwing

Although I dipped a lifer bird, I got myself a lifer snake instead, in form of a Banded Wolf Snake! A species I have been looking for but never been able to connect! This beautiful juvenile was an absolute cracker, they are such good Krait mimics at this age that I had to look twice at it before I dared to pick it up! On the same evening I had a very large Mock Viper, probably as large as they can ever get.



Banded Wolf Snake - Lifer for me!



Mock Viper

Hong Kong Newts are now heading back into the stream for their breeding season, they are fairly easy to see at this time of the year. Along the stream Hong Kong Cascade Frogs and Lesser Spiny Frogs can still be seen despite the dry weather.

Hong Kong Newt

Hong Kong Cascade Frog

Lesser Spiny Frog

Finally, thanks to a friend I got to finally see my first ever Beale's Four-eyed Turtle, which is likely the rarest native turtle species we have in Hong Kong. Like every other asian turtle this species is heavily poached for the pet market, and our local population is now dwindling. I wish this little guy all the best and hopefully they can hang on in Hong Kong.




Beale's Four-eyed Turtle

No comments:

Post a Comment