Tuesday 3 November 2020

Rare Warbler or Two - Greenish Warbler & Middendorff's Grasshopper Warbler

A Greenish Warbler was found at Luk Keng by John Allcock, since it was not very far away I decided to give it a try. The warbler was very vocal upon arrival and easily located by following the call. It stayed high up most of the time, following various White-eyes and bulbuls as they foraged in the trees.

Greenish Warbler

On a few occasions the bird flew down to eye-levels to feed, allowing a much better look at some other visible features, including a faint single wing bar, greyish green upperparts, fairly pale and clean looking underparts, lower mandible orange with dark tip and fairly dark legs. Although on a quick glance I could have easily mistaken it for a Two-barred Warbler! Although the different call really gave it away.



Greenish Warbler

While I enjoyed excellent views of the Greenish Warbler, a few other Phylloscopus warblers were also present, including an actual Two-barred Warbler, with a faint front and strong rear wing bar. A few Yellow-browed Warblers, and a single Dusky Warbler. Not bad for a stretch of road only 20 metres long!

Two-barred Warbler

Yellow-browed Warbler

Dusky Warbler

Continuing the warbler theme, the Middendorff's Grasshopper Warbler at Telford stayed on and continues to show well. At this rate I won't be surprise if it over winters there! Even though most birders are now 'bored' with this one, I still enjoyed observing this little skulker trotting along the flowerbeds looking for insects, it really is quite a charming bird. Unfortunately for me, I missed a Pale-footed Bush Warbler by 2 hours on the day of my visit, which again leaves me with no photo of that species...

Middendorff's Grasshopper Warbler - continuing...

Closer to home, I spent a morning at my local patch, delighted to find that a pair of Daurian Redstarts have returned! They are such charming birds to see and the first of the winter is always the most delightful. Other regular birds there seen includes a single Indochinese Green Magpie which flew off at the first sight of me, numerous Grey Treepies, large flocks of Scarlet Minivet and a single Ashy Minivet.

Daurian Redstart - male

Grey Treepie

Ashy Minivet

I went past Shatin Central Park the other day, the park is known to host the occasion rarity or migrant, although I didn't find anything interesting, a flock of Red-billed Blue Magpies kept me busy, this colourful species never fails to impress, and I always feel so lucky they are so common in Hong Kong. Their large size, the very long tail and bright plumage guarantee you a feast for the eyes.




Red-billed Blue Magpie

2 comments: