Friday 18 October 2019

Bay Woodpecker - Local Patch Surprise

I woke up in the morning and heard the unmistakable 'maniac laugh' of the Bay Woodpecker, I have previously heard this species at home but never seen it here. I got dressed quickly and with my camera ready I went out to try look for it. It wasn't long before I heard the call again, I followed the sound and played a burst of playback. The bird got slightly closer, but just out of view. I waited for another fifteen minutes before it finally came into full view! Despite being fairly widespread, Bay Woodpeckers are still fairly scarce in Hong Kong, even at Tai Po Kau where they are most reliable can sometimes be tricky. To see one right at my local patch was quite the treat. This lone male continued to call for another thirty minutes or so before moving on.



Bay Woodpecker - male

Birds elsewhere had not been as kind to me as this woodpecker, as I dipped several birds I wished to see, including the Little Curlew which had been reported at Mai Po one day before my visit. I was compensated with an Eastern Water Rail and close views of Eastern Marsh Harriers.

Eastern Water Rail


Eastern Marsh Harrier

Plenty of ducks had returned, including Garganies, Northern Pintails and Northern Shovelers, here a flock of Eurasian Wigeons swam in front of the bird hide.

Eurasian Wigeon

There is almost never a shortage of waders at Mai Po, the only problem is that you have to pick the interesting ones out of the hundreds of congregating waders. I scanned the Eurasian Curlews and sure enough found at least one Far Eastern Curlew.


Eurasian Curlew and Far Eastern Curlew (far right)

Far Eastern Curlew

The Little Curlew was replaced by numerous Pacific Golden Plovers and a few Bar-tailed Godwits. Despite the disappointment of the Curlew I did managed a nice Pheasant-tailed Jacana at the lily pond outside education centre.

Pacific Golden Plover & Bar-tailed Godwit

Pheasant-tailed Jacana

It is almost the end of herping season, Hoiling and I spent an evening at Lau Shui Heung, where numerous Reeves's Tokay Geckos made an appearance, including a few juveniles and a massive individual. The large one was at least a foot long and easily one of the largest I have ever seen. Smaller Garnot's Geckos were plentiful.



Reeves's Tokay Gecko - real giant!

Garnot's Gecko

I spotted a rather pissy Bamboo Pit Viper, it was certainly not in a good mood and gave us a warning strike even as we approached, although they are really beautiful snakes that I can never get bored of. Hoiling found a beautiful Greater Green Snake, although it slithered away quickly and out of sight.


Bamboo Pit Viper

Finally, one of my favourite frogs in Hong Kong, the beautiful Marbled Pygmy Frog. Each have a unique pattern like no other, the top one was the one I saw at Lau Shui Heung, the other two were older photos of individuals I saw at Tai Po and Lam Tsuen respectively.



Marbled Pygmy Frog - 3 different individuals with unique patterning

No comments:

Post a Comment