Monday 14 January 2019

A Warm January

January is usually the coldest month of the year, but this year it had been relatively warm, temperature rarely dropped below 10°C. Due to health reasons my birding activities had been kept to a minimal, as I could not venture too far, I've been itching to get up to Tai Po Kau with extremely good birds reported up there on a regular basis, but unfortunately it is out of the question for the time being...There are a few birds around which requires minimal walking distance to get to, one of them being a White-tailed Robin on 'show' at Lung Fu Shan, it was spotted by birders late December, but had since been fed meal worms by photographers. Most of the photographers had already been and gone by the time I went to investigate. The young bird was perched on the designated perch created by the photographers when I arrived, these types of setups make it so easy to get 'good' photographs, but certainly take the fun out of it...I was only there for 5 minutes before I got completely bored and left. This species is still a fairly rare winter visitor in Hong Kong, so by all means it's worth a look.


White-tailed Robin - a very obliging subject...

Red-flanked Bluetails and Daurian Redstarts are fairly common in winter, although Red-flanked Bluetail numbers certainly had seen a major decrease in recent winters, I am not sure why that is but perhaps milder winter is changing their migratory patterns.

Red-flanked Bluetail - female

Daurian Redstart - female

The Tristram's Buntings at Wonderland Villas had returned yet again, this time there were only two, but they're still absolute joy to see especially at your local patch. They are not shy either, often allowing quite close views.

Tristram's Bunting - a great bird to see as always

A naturalist never let anything stop them from going outside...Although I could not walk long distance for the time being, I still regularly venture outside to look for birds and other critters, spiders being one of my new favourites. There are always some spiders around us if you look closely, and you will be surprise at the variety you get in a small area.

Carrhotus sp.

Chrysilla acerosa - female

Cyclosa confusa

Parasteatoda songi

Lycosidae sp.

Castianeira hongkong

Thanatus hongkong

Finally, the best bird of the month for me so far, an Ashy Minivet at Mt. Davis. I was there to look for the Yellow-streaked Warbler with my dad, as he haven't seen it. We somehow dipped on that, but got a very surprising Ashy Minivet mixed in with a few Scarlet Minivets. Although this is a fairly common spring migrant, there are very few winter records of this species as far as I know.

Ashy Minivet - a fairly decent surprise

Hopefully I will recover by next month for more birding, not exactly the best start of 2019...

8 comments:

  1. Ashy Minivet - great bird, a what a surprise in mid-winter. As for Red-flanked Bluetail, a confession: I've seen exactly ONE, back in December.

    Gell Well soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, they are getting scarcer...hopefully won't become a rarity...Thanks! I am much better already!

      Delete
  2. As always, Matt, a great series of images. I hope that your health problems were nothing too serious and they have now been resolved. Being kept indoors is not good for a birder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers David! I am finally much better, went to Tai Po Kau today for the first time in over a month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Matt I've been following you for some time and find your blog really useful! I've actually seen a few of your Wonderland Villa findings on HKBWS as well and live near the area and would like to explore it, have you been recently? What kind of migrants/target species should I expect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeffery, Thanks for reading my blog! Yes I still go out birding around WV, anything can turn up there! One of my most recent addition was a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, but more usual migrants includes Mugimaki Flycatcher and Black-naped Monarch. It is also quite good for wintering Thrushes and Rufous-tailed Robins, I've had the odd Orange-headed Thrush as well as Radde's Warbler. My neighbour had a White-tailed Robin last year and a White-throated Rock Thrush a few years back. It will be great to have more people looking for wildlife at WV!

      Delete
    2. Wow that's awesome! Didn't see much when I walked around the village below WV last time, just some chestnut bulbuls. The habitat also seems to favour snakes/amphibians, have you seen any?

      Delete
    3. Yes, plenty, there are quite a lot of snakes around, Greater Green Snakes, Mock Vipers, Banded Kraits, Red-necked Keelback, Taiwan Kukri Snake...etc.

      Delete