Thursday 1 November 2018

Migration Curiosities

January last year a rare Baikal Bush Warbler and Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler turned up in the middle of a shopping mall at Kowloon Bay. This autumn more migrants had returned! Captain who lives near there had quite a good run with the likes of Asian Stubtail, Rufous-tailed Robin, Black-browed Reed Warbler, Lanceolated Warbler and Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler...I visited the little courtyard garden around mid-morning and only saw two Pallas's Groppers. Both of which were immature birds with some breast and flank markings. The first bird was darker overall, with heavier streaking on the breast, somehow giving it a Lancy look...But the darker cap and rufous tail feathers all points towards Pallas's.


Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler - immature 1

The second individual was much paler and have a more classic Pallas's look, as you can see in the photos, it often come out into the open...Occasionally it will even mix in with the sparrows! It just make me wonder, if we can find these in a shopping mall, how many of these skulking warblers do we miss every year?


Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler - immature 2

San Tin had continued to be excellent. I caught up with the elusive Mandarin Duck finally, but it was flushed and I just wasn't quick enough to get a flight shot. There were a few raptor species when I visited, a Common Kestrel patrolled the area a few times, although later got chased off by a flock of wagtails. Eastern Buzzards are arriving and increasing in numbers. An Osprey with a fish in it's talons was worthy of note. I spotted an Eastern Marsh Harrier and later a Pied Harrier, my second one this autumn!

Common Kestrel

Eastern Buzzard

Western Osprey

Pied Harrier

The tall grass had attracted plenty of reed warblers, but there were also lots of Buntings. Chestnut-eared Buntings were in good numbers, I counted at least three birds along a single stretch of road. A few Yellow-breasted Buntings and Little Buntings flew past above. The best species was no doubt Pallas's Reed Bunting, one was showing very well for me. Initially found by Mike Kilburn, a friend of mine later found not just one bird in the area, but three on a single day! This is the highest count in HK ever!

Chestnut-eared Bunting


Pallas's Reed Bunting - a fine looking individual

Finally, I had been hoping to find a Jacana in the lotus pond near San Tin, I kept going there to check for any signs but had been disappointed all autumn. But in birding, if you are persistent enough, you will usually be rewarded, and the pond finally redeemed itself by presenting a fine looking Pheasant-tailed Jacana in the beautiful setting.




Pheasant-tailed Jacana - finally!

Will be off to the Philippines for a birding trip this coming week, first Palawan, and later Luzon...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, the Philippines! My long-time residence, and favorite birding spot. Feel free to message if you have any questions about birding there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Forest, I had a fabulous time there! Wonderful country with some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Although traffic at Manila was some of the worst I've seen, haha.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure we humans miss most of the skulking migrants - I wonder how many others have lurked in urban flower beds like these. PR Bunting is a great bird, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so, if only we check all the courtyards in the city we might find some surprises!

      Delete