Friday 8 May 2015

A week at Sepilok - Rainforest Discovery Centre

I will be off to a week of birding at the Rainforest Discovery Centre at Sepilok, Sabah. I last visited the site in July 2012, where we spent a few hours there as a stop over station to Kinabatangan and Danum Valley. The few hours we spent there was not spectacular, but it wasn't bad either, and it left me a pretty good impression of the site.

I thought it will only do the place justice if I visit once again, this time I will focus solely on this site, hoping to find some of Borneo's finest and rarest birds. Namely the Bornean Bristlehead, where RDC is supposed to be the best place to get good views of this species. Other target species includes Hooded and Black-and-Crimson Pitta, Scarlet-rumped Trogon and Banded Kingfishers.

A photograph from my last visit, a Bushy-crested Hornbill that was actually the first bird we saw on the canopy walkway!

Bushy-crested Hornbill

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment